Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday (I know, it's actually Tuesday, I haven't been online!)

I have been thinking a lot lately about how often we miss seeing God in all the little things. Isn’t it amazing how our Creator designed all the systems of our universe to work together? From the tiniest microorganism to the most gigantic of creatures, every living thing directly or indirectly affects every other living thing. We may hate bugs, or snakes, or maggots or whatever, but without them our world would sure be different. (I’m not saying it’s not okay to kill or at least relocate “pests” that invade our homes, yards, etc.) In the same way, we are all connected to every other person on Earth.
We may think, “my sin isn’t hurting anyone else, it only affects me, it’s a victimless transgression”. But the truth is that our actions, and even our thoughts, have an effect on those around us. Those people then interact with the people around them, and so on and so on. Now, I’m not saying that simply being nice to the people around you will single-handedly change the world; I’m not that naive. However, we have the power, through the Holy Spirit, to change ourselves. Slowly, bit by bit, we can have an impact on our family, our friends and our neighbors. As mothers (and fathers too), we can train our children to react kindly even in the face of unkindness. We can teach the next generation to step out and step up, caring for those around us without wondering what we will get in return. We can befriend the unfriendly, love the unlovely and help the helpless. The change we want to see must start in ourselves. Join me in prayer, asking the Holy Spirit to make us ever mindful of the way we react to our children, spouses, other relatives, neighbors and friends; thoughtful about the way we interact with sales associates, restaurant servers, customer service phone workers and all other strangers we come into contact with. Let us live our lives in such a way that the Light of the World shines through us.
I pray you will all have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that even if we don't think we affecting anyone else, we prob are. Very well said. :)

    ReplyDelete