Any of the rest of you feel like you barely have time to breathe, let alone be on the internet? I am happy to say I have not been spending much time on the web lately, which is good because I tend to waste time here. Not to say I haven't been wasting time elsewhere, but hey, baby steps right? Well, last time I posted I mentioned something about having purchased my last bottle of soda right? Well, that lasted until the next day! Thankfully, someone I know IRL brought it up to me a few days later, can we say "Thank you Holy Spirit" ???? I am proud to say that God has helped me be soda free since Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter.
I realize soda may not seem like such a terrible addiction to most, but anything that we crave, we glorify, instead of glorifying God, the only one worthy of our praise. (that is a very loose quote of John Piper, 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die). It's okay to have things, but it's not okay when things have us. Tyson Suemnicht says that a lot, I think it might be a quote from Piper, or James McDonald? So, not that I have no desire for soda anymore, but the times of intense craving are lessening. I have also found it helpful, when I crave, to remind myself all the negative things about soda rather than focusing on why I miss drinking it, then pray for the Holy Spirit to help me with my temptation, and also to dwell on the Word of God. (Whether memorized or by reading my Bible.)
Do you have something in your life that really has you instead? Entrust it into God's hands, and spend more time focusing on the One who knew you long before your birth! Confide in a trusted friend, or tell everyone you know that you want to stop. Be accountable to God and to His faithful servants. And when you lose your way, get back up again. :)
Check out this cute video of a song filled with much truth and encouragement.
May God Bless You Richly,
Jolene
Okay, I can't get my link above to take you right to the cute video, but this site has 6 "pages" of videos for this song, the one I like is on page 5, it's a lip-sync version by the "Schott Zoo" 3 cute kids. Any version of the video is probably good though, because it's the lyrics that matter :)
ReplyDelete