Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What is a friend?

How many of you out there in blog land have a BEST friend? I mean, she (or he if any guys are reading this) is the person you call with exciting news, or devastating news for that matter. Someone with whom you share inside jokes, memories, hobbies, coffee "dates". Someone with whom God has blessed you, a soul sister (maybe an actual sister too). Do you remember how you met, where you met, what your first impression of her was? Who reached out a hand of friendship first, or were you introduced by a mutual friend/acquaintance? How do you keep your friendship strong? Do the two of you keep each other accountable? Do you inspire each other, love each other, show each other grace & mercy? If you are a married person, is your spouse this person, or one of these people?

The Bible tells us:

  • "A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends." Proverbs 16:28
  • "He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends." Proverbs 17:9
  • "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity" Proverbs 17:17
  • "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Proverbs 18:24
  • "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses." Proverbs 27:6
  • "Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father, and do not go to your brother's house when disaster strikes you-- better a neighbor nearby than a brother far away. Proverbs 27:10
  • "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions." Matthew 11:19
  • "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. you are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." John 15:13-15

Doubtless, there are other scripture references concerning friends. These are some that I feel talk about what a friend IS.

If you are finding you don't have a close friend or two like I described above, ask yourself some questions. Are you making an effort to meet people? Are you making an effort to be those things to anyone you already know? Are you surrounded by "toxic" people. Are you those things for your spouse? Are you living out the Biblical model of friendship? Are you being a friend to the friendless, to the unfriendly? Are you so caught up in the little "bubble" that is your own life, that you've lost the ability to see anyone outside that bubble? I am not saying that friends should be a priority over your spouse, your children, your career, etc. However, it is good to model compassion and healthy friendships for our children. Don't be envious of the women you see who have this type of friendship (pray for God's help if you need to), rather, reach out to women around you. Be the type of friend you want to have. I'm guessing it won't take long to find someone you can form a bond with, just remember it likely will not happen overnight. Ask for God's leading and intercession in this area. If you are married, change how you treat your husband (wife) for a more positive and friendly manner. Above all, know this: Jesus is a friend to the friendless, a hope for the hopeless, love for the unloved! HE should be your BEST friend, FOREVER!

May you have a blessed day! Love,

Jolene


No comments:

Post a Comment