Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The ONLY chicken "recipe" I may ever need again.

Okay, so, I have these super picky boys who live in my house. There are three of them. They are not really picky about the same foods either. God must really want me to grow as a mother :)

Well, I have finally figured out a method of chicken-cooking that mostly pleases most of them. And it is so ridiculously easy! You must have the time to do it though, so if you decide to try my "recipe" either do a very small batch or set some time aside. As with pretty much every cooking venture, it is easier if your kitchen is very clean ;)

Ingredients:
  • Boneless, skinless chicken (I use breasts, we like white meat)
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Equipment:
  • Food-safe plastic gloves (optional)
  • Kitchen shears or a good sharp knife and cutting board (I really like my shears, especially for this job.)
  • Large bowl or platter
  • Cast Iron pan, regular or enameled  (This is VERY important, the sear is where the flavor is. Stainless steel would probably give you good results as well, but I find it difficult to clean after cooking chicken.)
  • Silicone-coated tongs
  • 2nd set of tongs, or silicone spatula, or other utensil (for removing cooked chicken from pan)
Cut chicken into bite sized chunks. Place in bowl or on platter. (I find the bowl easier since you can coat the chicken in the oil, salt, and pepper before placing it in the pan.) Once chicken is cut up, heat pan over medium to medium-high flame (it pays to know your stove). In batches, cook the seasoned chicken in olive oil (this is where having it coated in the bowl comes in handy). You don't need much oil, just enough to LIGHTLY coat the chicken pieces. Cooking an a single layer will help you get that tasty golden brown sear. Don't put a lid on your pan until after the sear is accomplished unless you want steamed chicken instead of browned. If the chicken isn't cooking through, place a lid on after searing.When the chicken is cooked through you will be able to easily "cut" it in half with your cooking utensil and it will have NO pink left in the center.

I have used this chicken in the past either just as it is, with dips on the side or in my version of sweet & sour chicken. (This is a German style sweet & sour, I can share in another post if others are interested.) As I was cooking it up today I started thinking: soups, salads, pizzas, casseroles, YUM! I hope you enjoy my technique. If you have any questions please ask!

May you have a blessed day,
Jolene

No comments:

Post a Comment